Friday, December 1, 2017

Book Review :: The Books of the Bible: My Bible Story Coloring Book

The Books of the Bible: My Bible Story Coloring Book is a unique coloring book. It is a coloring book, yes, but it also includes a good portion of the Biblical stories (taken from the NIrV Bible translation). It is like a 2-in-1 storybook & coloring book.
As a coloring book, The Books of the Bible: My Bible Story Coloring Book is a great one. The pages are smooth and white - a good (heavy) stock for coloring. The images to color are very full - not stand-alone images on a page, but rather full scenes that span each 2-page spread. 
What I don't think is clear in the description of The Books of the Bible: My Bible Story Coloring Book is that the text of the stories is basically the NIrV Bible, abridged. (I know it mentions that they are "taken" from the NIrV, but it is actually the NIrV text, just chopped up to make it shorter.) The exact location of the text is not given (I wish it were), but, for example, I looked up the text from "Moses and the Fiery Lawgiving" and saw that it is a compilation directly quoted from Deuteronomy 5:1b-5, 6:20-21, 6:24, 7:7a, and 7:8b (NIrV). Of course, some details of the stories are lost with this method, but the basics are included.  

The Books of the Bible: My Bible Story Coloring Book contains 4 sections with 8 stories per section (for a total of 32 stories). The 4 sections are: Covenant History, Prophets, Writings, and New Testament. Each story includes 4+ pages of a mixture of text and line art to color. (Most stories have one full page without text - just for coloring.) There is a good amount of text given in each story. What I especially appreciated was the variety of stories and topics that are included - many that aren't generally found in Bible storybooks. 

I found The Books of the Bible: My Bible Story Coloring Book to be a really great book - it's a unique 2-in-1 that can span a variety of ages. I definitely recommend it! 
FTC Declaration: The publisher has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book or advanced reading copy through their book review bloggers program. This does not change the fact that I will give my honest opinion in my reviews.

No comments: