Friday, July 8, 2016

Book Review :: I Can Be Kind: My First Manners Book (A Lift-the-Flap Book) by Amie Carlson, illustrated by Heather Heyworth

I Can Be Kind is a "lift-the-flap" book about manners. 
First, I'd like to address the "lift-the-flap" portion of the book. When I see something in the "my first book" range and called "lift-the-flap", I immediately picture it as some sort of board book or at least a book with heavy-weight coated cardstock pages with shaped flaps. I Can Be Kind, however, is a paperback book (8" x 8") with standard book-weight pages. The "flaps" are actually extra-long pages that have been folded over to fit within the cover size. Each of the flaps is on the right-hand page of each two-page spread. (With the flap opened, that side of the two-page spread measures 12 1/2".) 

The pages in I Can Be Kind are all full-color, coated pages. The drawings are cute, in the style as shown on the cover. Each two-page spread in I Can Be Kind has a sentence on the left page (about something that can be done that shows good manners - including others, letting others go first, saying please and thank you, etc.), and under the flap on the right is a corresponding Bible verse (from the New Living Translation/NLT). 

Although this book is cute and the idea is good, I am not sure I would recommend buying it at the full retail price - simply because of the thin pages. However, if you can find this on sale, go ahead and pick up a copy. 
FTC Declaration: Tyndale House Publishers has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book or advanced reading copy. This does not change the fact that I will give my honest opinion in my reviews.

Do you love being rewarded? Be sure to check out TyndaleRewards.com!

No comments: