Tuesday, December 8, 2015

Book Reviews :: Adventure Bible - I Can Read!: Joseph the Dreamer and Facing the Blazing Furnace, illustrated by David Miles

There are several books in the I Can Read! / Adventure Bible series, and Joseph the Dreamer and Facing the Blazing Furnace are two of the newest releases. Our family does not own the Adventure Bible, NIV or the Adventure Bible for Early Readers, so I cannot compare these books to those (to see if the content is duplicated). We do, however, own both the Adventure Bible for Toddlers and the Adventure Bible Storybook, and I can tell you that the wording and illustrations are not duplicated across these three editions. The books in the I Can Read! / Adventure Bible series are worded with simpler phrasing and shorter sentences than you will find in the Adventure Bible Storybook.

Joseph the Dreamer is a simplified re-telling of the story of the life of Joseph which can be found in the Bible in the book of Genesis. Overall I think it is well done and is easy to understand. The story is accompanied by big, colorful illustrations.

At the end of Joseph the Dreamer is a page containing "People of the Bible" (which has an illustration of Jacob and Joseph accompanied by short descriptions of each and quotes Genesis 49:25) and "Life in Bible Times: Joseph's Colorful Coat" that gives a short explanation of the qualities of Joseph's coat/robe and why it made his brothers jealous.


Facing the Blazing Furnace is a re-telling of the story of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego and the fiery furnace which can be found in the Bible in the book of Daniel. Overall I think it is well done and is easy to understand. The story is accompanied by big, colorful illustrations.
At the end of Facing the Blazing Furnace is a page containing "People in Bible Times" (which has an illustration and description of King Nebuchadnezzar and quotes Daniel 3:28) and "Live It!: Trusting God for All Things" that gives a short explanation of how the three men trusted God and how we should, too.

The I Can Read! / Adventure Bible series are categorized as reading level 2 ("Reading with Help") and the stories do not feel "choppy" like you might find in some learn-to-read books. With a retail price under $4 per book, I find these books to be a great value.
FTC Declaration: The publisher has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book or advanced reading copy. This does not change the fact that I will give my honest opinion in my reviews.

No comments: