Friday, April 17, 2015

Book Review :: Go Ahead & Like It by Jacqueline Suskin

I must say that I was surprised when I received Go Ahead & Like It, because with descriptions like "an invitation to write lists of things you like" and "a how-to guide, writing prompt, model for self-discovery, and beautiful inspiration for daily gratitude" I was expecting Go Ahead & Like It to be more of a journal-style book of prompts with plenty of room for writing. That is not the case.

The style of Go Ahead & Like It is intriguing, and the pages are almost like looking at the author's scrapbook or gratitude journal (which is a bit strange, in my opinion). The theme behind the idea of Go Ahead & Like It is not new - we know that being thankful for "small" things and looking at the positives in life are important. With that being said, besides the newness of the artistic style of the book, I didn't find Go Ahead & Like It to have anything "new" to add to my life. I already know how to make lists.

I must say that I did NOT "like it" that there was a list with the f-word in it...it seemed so out of place an inappropriate for a book that should be about positive things.

Unfortunately, Go Ahead & Like It will only be useful to me as maybe an art journal (where I cover the pages with paint and my own drawings/photos/lists). I just am not impressed.
FTC Declaration: The publisher has provided me with a complimentary copy of this book or advanced reading copy through the Blogging for Books book review bloggers program. This does not change the fact that I will give my honest opinion in my reviews.

No comments: